NEW ORLEANS — The New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board (NOMTRCB) as we speak introduced that West Nile Virus (WNV) has been detected in mosquitoes all through Orleans Parish. Virus screening outcomes, mixed with surveillance knowledge, point out elevated proportions of infective mosquitoes in some areas.
As a outcome, NOMTRCB will conduct grownup mosquito abatement tonight within the following areas:
- Uptown within the space bounded by Tchoupitoulas Road, Napoleon Avenue, St. Charles Avenue and Nashville Avenue
- Uptown within the space bounded by St. Charles Avenue, Napoleon Avenue, South Broad Road and Broadway Road
- Hoffman Triangle within the space bounded by South Broad Road, Napoleon Avenue, South Claiborne Avenue and I-10
- Gert City within the space bounded by South Broad Road/Fountainebleau Drive, Pontchartrain Expressway and Carrollton Avenue
Mosquitoes turn out to be contaminated with WNV once they feed on contaminated birds, and after a couple of week, they’ll unfold the virus to individuals and animals by biting them. Whereas most human infections are asymptomatic, frequent signs can embrace headache, physique aches, fever, joint ache, vomiting, diarrhea or rash. In uncommon circumstances, extreme sickness affecting the central nervous system can happen. Folks over 60 years previous or these with sure medical situations are at greater danger for extreme sickness.
No human West Nile circumstances have been reported in Orleans Parish this 12 months; nevertheless, circumstances have been reported in different areas of the state. NOMTRCB urges residents to take security precautions. Scale back the chance of mosquito bites by limiting outside actions between nightfall and daybreak. Use EPA-registered and CDC-approved mosquito repellents when outside, particularly at night time when the mosquitoes that carry WNV are most energetic.
Lowering the chance of mosquito-borne virus transmission is a group effort. It’s crucial that we work collectively to scale back public well being threats in peak mosquito season. Please overview and observe the extra ideas for residence and private safety.
Shield Your self
- Scale back mosquito publicity by limiting outside actions between nightfall and daybreak.
- Use air-con or sit within the air stream of a fan outside when potential
- Be sure that window and door screens are in good situation to forestall mosquitoes from getting inside the house.
- Use CDC-approved repellents containing EPA-registered energetic substances akin to DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon-eucalyptus.
- When utilizing repellent, at all times observe the suggestions on the product label.
Shield Your Dwelling
- Get rid of standing water the place mosquitoes breed round your own home and yard by tipping over all outside containers at the very least weekly.
- Be sure that swimming swimming pools and fountains are useful and circulating.
- Take away trash and muddle and switch over any object that may maintain water, akin to kiddie swimming pools, buckets, empty trash cans, youngsters’s toys or plant pot trays.
- Change water weekly in containers that can’t be eliminated akin to chook baths, pet water bowls or non-functional fountains. Scrub the perimeters of the containers to take away mosquito eggs that will have been deposited.
- Rain barrels and different water assortment gadgets should be screened and picked up water needs to be used inside one week.
- Aerate decorative swimming pools, fountains and sugar kettles, or inventory them with fish or mosquito dunks.
Report Mosquito Points
Please report mosquito-related points utilizing one of many following strategies:
For extra pest administration ideas, abatement bulletins and normal data, observe us on Fb, Instagram and Twitter @nolamosquito.
# # #