NEW ORLEANS — The New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board (NOMTRCB) will conduct grownup mosquito abatement tonight. Remedies will likely be performed by truck from 8 p.m. to midnight, climate allowing, within the following areas:
- Gentilly/Lakeview within the space bounded by Lakeshore Drive, Franklin Avenue, Allen Toussaint Boulevard and Canal Boulevard
- Algiers within the space bounded by Woodland Drive, Normal De Gaulle Drive, Vacation Drive and Patterson Drive
- Algiers/Tall Timbers/Brechtel within the space bounded by Normal De Gaulle Drive, the parish line and the Intracoastal Waterway
- Decrease Coast Algiers within the space bounded by the Intracoastal Waterway, Patterson Drive and Donner Canal
West Nile virus (WNV) has been detected in mosquitoes all through Orleans Parish in current weeks. Mosquitoes develop into contaminated after they feed on contaminated birds, and after a few week, they’ll unfold the virus to folks and animals by biting them. Whereas most human infections are asymptomatic, frequent signs can embrace headache, physique aches, fever, joint ache, vomiting, diarrhea or rash. In uncommon circumstances, extreme sickness affecting the central nervous system can happen. Folks over 60 years previous or these with sure medical situations are at increased danger for extreme sickness.
NOMTRCB requests that residents examine areas across the house and yard at the least as soon as per week and eradicate sources of water the place mosquitoes can breed. Mosquito larvae can develop in an area as small as a bottle cap, so something that holds water counts.
The Board additionally urges residents to cut back the danger of mosquito bites by limiting outside actions between nightfall and daybreak. Use EPA-registered and CDC-approved mosquito repellents when outside, particularly at night time when the mosquitoes that carry WNV are most energetic.
Decreasing the danger of mosquito-borne virus transmission is a neighborhood effort. It’s crucial that residents work collectively to cut back public well being threats in peak mosquito season. Please evaluate and comply with the extra suggestions for house and private safety.
Defend Your self
- Cut back mosquito publicity by limiting outside actions between nightfall and daybreak.
- Use air-con or followers if attainable, and ensure window and door screens are in good situation to forestall mosquitoes from getting inside the house.
- Use CDC-approved repellents containing EPA-registered energetic elements comparable to DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon-eucalyptus.
- When utilizing repellent, at all times comply with the suggestions on the product label.
Defend Your Residence
- Remove standing water the place mosquitoes breed round your private home and yard by tipping over all outside containers at the least weekly.
- Ensure swimming swimming pools and fountains are useful and circulating.
- Take away trash and litter and switch over any object that may maintain water, comparable to kiddie swimming pools, buckets, empty trash cans, kids’s toys or plant pot trays.
- Change water weekly in containers that can’t be eliminated comparable to chicken baths, pet water bowls or non-functional fountains. Scrub the perimeters of the containers to take away mosquito eggs that will have been deposited.
- Rain barrels and different water assortment gadgets should be screened and picked up water ought to be used inside one week.
- Aerate decorative swimming pools, fountains and sugar kettles, or inventory them with fish or mosquito dunks.
Report Mosquito Points
Please report mosquito-related points utilizing one of many following strategies:
For extra pest administration suggestions, abatement bulletins and different basic data, comply with NOMTRCB on Fb, Instagram and Twitter @nolamosquito.
# # #