NEW ORLEANS — The New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board (NOMTRCB) will conduct grownup mosquito abatement tonight in response to West Nile exercise within the following places:
- Uptown/Audubon/Black Pearl within the space bounded by St. Charles Avenue, Nashville Avenue and the Mississippi River
- The Higher ninth Ward within the space bounded by Franklin Avenue, Florida Avenue, Japonica Avenue and Chartres Avenue
- Need within the space bounded by Florida Avenue, I-10 and France Street
- Gentilly Woods/Pontchartrain Park within the space bounded by I-10, France Street, Leon C. Simon Drive and Windfall Place
- Higher Gentilly adjoining to UNO Lakefront Enviornment/SUNO housing within the space bounded by Lakeshore Drive, Franklin Avenue and Leon C. Simon Drive
- New Orleans East within the space bounded by Lucerne Avenue/Wright Street, I-10, Paris Street and Hayne Boulevard
No human West Nile circumstances have been reported in Orleans Parish this 12 months, however circumstances have been reported in different areas of the state. NOMTRCB urges residents to take motion to scale back the danger of mosquito bites. Use EPA-registered and CDC-approved mosquito repellents when open air, particularly at night time when the mosquitoes that carry West Nile virus are most lively.
Though it has not rained not too long ago, mosquito numbers haven’t lowered, as mosquito breeding habitats might be effectively hidden. The Board asks that residents verify areas across the house and yard a minimum of as soon as per week and switch over all containers that maintain water. Report standing water, unkept fountains and swimming pools, development websites that maintain water and dumped tires to 311.
Please overview and comply with the extra ideas for house and private safety.
Defend Your self
- Cut back mosquito publicity by limiting outside actions between nightfall and daybreak.
- Use air con or sit within the air stream of a fan open air when attainable
- Make certain window and door screens are in good situation to stop mosquitoes from getting inside the house.
- Use CDC-approved repellents containing EPA-registered lively substances reminiscent of DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon-eucalyptus.
- When utilizing repellent, at all times comply with the suggestions on the product label.
Defend Your Dwelling
- Get rid of standing water the place mosquitoes breed round your private home and yard by tipping over all outside containers a minimum of weekly.
- Make certain swimming swimming pools and fountains are practical and circulating.
- Take away trash and litter and switch over any object that may maintain water, reminiscent of kiddie swimming pools, buckets, empty trash cans, youngsters’s toys or plant pot trays.
- Change water weekly in containers that can not be eliminated reminiscent of hen baths, pet water bowls or non-functional fountains. Scrub the perimeters of the containers to take away mosquito eggs that will have been deposited.
- Rain barrels and different water assortment gadgets should be screened and picked up water ought to be used inside one week.
- Aerate decorative swimming pools, fountains and sugar kettles, or inventory them with fish or mosquito dunks.
Report Mosquito Points
Please report mosquito-related points utilizing one of many following strategies:
For extra data on West Nile virus, go to the CDC web site:
For pest administration ideas, abatement bulletins and different common data, comply with NOMTRCB on Fb, Instagram and Twitter @nolamosquito.
# # #