NEW ORLEANS — The New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board (NOMTRCB) reviews that mosquitoes collected this week from Orleans Parish examined constructive for West Nile virus (WNV). Truck-mounted grownup larvicide remedies have been carried out earlier this week.
Lowering the chance of mosquito bites and mosquito-borne virus transmission is a neighborhood effort. It’s crucial to work collectively to cut back public well being dangers in peak mosquito season.
West Nile exercise in mosquitoes has elevated in latest weeks. NOMTRCB requests that residents examine areas across the house and yard, flip over any container or object that holds water and take away trash and litter. Mosquito larvae can develop in an area as small as a bottle cap, so each container counts. Report mosquito-related points similar to standing water, tires, building websites or unkept swimming pools.
The Metropolis urges residents to guard themselves from biting mosquitoes by limiting outside actions between nightfall and daybreak. Use EPA-registered and CDC-approved mosquito repellents if open air, particularly at evening. Mosquito-proof residences by sustaining screens on home windows and doorways.
Please learn and observe the extra security suggestions under.
Shield Your Dwelling
- Get rid of standing water round your private home the place mosquitoes breed.
- Take away trash and litter, get rid of discarded tires and containers that may maintain water. Flip over wading swimming pools, buckets, trash cans kids’s toys or something that would accumulate water.
- Change water weekly in containers that can not be eliminated, similar to pet dishes or chicken baths. Scrub the facet of the containers every week to take away any eggs which were deposited.
- Rain barrels and different water assortment units should be screened and picked up water needs to be used inside one week.
- Aerate decorative swimming pools, fountains and sugar kettles, or inventory them with fish.
- Report unlawful dumping, water leaks and unattended swimming swimming pools by calling 311.
- Name 311 report mosquito issues.
Shield Your self
- Scale back mosquito publicity by limiting outside actions between nightfall and daybreak.
- Use air-conditioning and ensure window and door screens are in good situation to stop mosquitoes from getting inside.
- Put on long-sleeved shirts and pants whereas outdoors.
- Sit within the airstream of a fan if you’re outdoors.
- The CDC recommends utilizing repellents containing EPA-registered energetic substances together with DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- When utilizing repellent, all the time observe the suggestions on the product label.
Report Mosquito Points
For mosquito-related questions or to report points, please contact NOMTRCB by way of one of many following strategies:
For extra info and suggestions for house and private safety, observe NOMTRCB on Fb, Instagram and Twitter @nolamosquito.
# # #