The Charlotte Hornets, like a lot of the NBA, have change into closely reliant on the 3-point shot in latest seasons. With the heavy reliance on threes comes the problem of conserving the boldness excessive when the photographs aren’t falling. Some gamers and groups are higher than others at this. All of us most likely have some concept of who the streakiest shooters are on the Hornets, and I made a decision to see what that appears like.
So right here’s what I did. I took the seven Hornets at present on the roster that acquired common rotation minutes final season and recurrently tried 3-pointers—Terry Rozier, LaMelo Ball, Gordon Hayward, Cody Martin, Kelly Oubre, and Jalen McDaniels. For every participant, I charted their rolling 3-point share over the course of the season together with their rolling 3-point share for the latest 5 sport and up to date ten video games. In different phrases:
- The grey traces present their 3-point taking pictures percentages over the course of the season
- The purple traces present their 3-point taking pictures percentages for the latest 5 video games performed
- The teal traces present their 3-point taking pictures percentages for the latest ten video games performed
So let’s take a look at the photographs then we’ll speak about them.
The very first thing I took away from making all these charts was how properly they represented the character of taking pictures consistency. Each participant had their ebbs and flows; nobody shoots at their precise 3-point share for any prolonged time frame. The one participant that was shut is LaMelo Ball, whose taking pictures consistency is hanging given his youth and the way large a query mark his taking pictures was earlier than he acquired to the NBA. Another notes:
- Terry Rozier was comparatively streaky, however he hardly ever bottomed out as a shooter. Additionally when he acquired scorching, he acquired very, very popular as evidenced by the peaks within the 5-game line the place he approached 60% 3-point taking pictures.
- Kelly Oubre has probably the most notable popularity as a streaky shooter, however the magnitude of his highs and lows wasn’t a lot completely different than anybody else. The issues that set him aside are the frequency of the ups and downs and the way low the downs acquired. He additionally by no means hit the peaks you’d count on given among the outbursts we noticed inside a couple of particular person video games.
- There’s motive to be involved concerning the sustainability of Cody Martin’s 3-point taking pictures from final season given the truth that he didn’t have a single 5 or ten sport stretch over the past ~40% of the season the place he matched his season lengthy 3-point share.
Right here’s an overlay of the 5 excessive quantity 3-point shooters to see how all of them examine to at least one one other in a single chart (this excludes Martin and McDaniels).
On the entire right here is how the Hornets as a crew shot the ball from three utilizing the identical parameters as above.
The crew as an entire had ups and downs all through the season, although the final pattern was fairly constantly downward because the season went alongside till they acquired scorching for the stretch run. For comparability, that is how Hornets opponents shot the ball.
Once more, the large takeaway from all of that is that 3-point taking pictures is inconsistent by nature, so it’s one thing to bear in mind if it looks like specific gamers are cold and hot. There’s nothing Earth shattering about this information, however I assumed it was attention-grabbing to visualise since we’re typically fed taking pictures percentages as considerably static entities.
So let’s focus on. Something you discover significantly attention-grabbing about these charts?